Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a perfect summer cake (or anytime of year since it uses frozen strawberries). It looks very fancy and tastes just as good.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed and drained
- Prepare cake according to package directions using oil, eggs and water.
- Bake for time specified on package in two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Place half of the whipped topping in a bowl; add strawberries.
- Split each cake into two horizontal layers; place one layer on a serving plate.
- Spread with half of the strawberry mixture.
- Top with a second cake layer; spread with custard.
- Add third layer; spread with remaining strawberry mixture.
- Top with remaining cake and whipped topping.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.