Recipe by BirdyBaker
Such a light, summer recipe. The coconut and strawberry make it very tropical and scrumptious. It is a light dessert that will have people clearing their plates and coming back for more. Very easy to make and most of the cook time is chill time. Fresh strawberries make all the difference in the world!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, stemmed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons toasted flaked coconut
- mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl combine gelatin and water; set aside.
- In medium saucepan combine 2 cups coconut and 1 1/2 cups of the milk. Bring just to boiling over medium heat. Add gelatin mixture; stir to dissolve gelatin completely.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature. Combine one basket of the strawberries and the remaining 1/2-cup milk in container of electric blender. Blend until smooth; set aside.
- In large bowl whip cream and vanilla to form soft peaks; add strawberry and coconut mixtures. Fold with rubber spatula to blend thoroughly.
- Pour into lightly oiled 5-cup mold. Cover and chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Meanwhile, slice the remaining strawberries and toss with sugar; cover and chill.
- To serve, dip mold briefly into hot water; invert onto serving plate to unmold. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Garnish with some of the sliced strawberries and the mint. Serve with the remaining sliced strawberries.