Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
This great recipe by John Winkler of San Pedro, California, was a finalist in the 1997 California Strawberry Festival's Berry Off Cooking Contest.
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄3 cup mashed strawberry
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled to room temperature) or 2 tablespoons margarine (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (reserve 2 T for top)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water; Mix in fruits, egg whites and butter; Sift together dry ingredients, stir in nuts; Mix dry ingredients into dough and mix and knead until smooth and elastic; Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch dough down.
- Preheat oven to 425° Grease and flour a 13x9x2 inch rectangular pan.
- After dough cycle on the bread machine or after your dough has been through one rising if hand mixing, knead dough an additional 2-5 minutes and shape to fit in loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved 2 T nuts on top of bread.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- After baking, remove bread from pan and cool on a wire rack.