Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great tasting macaroni and cheese that is quick to make, too! Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half, warmed
- 1 (8 ounce) bag extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente; drain in a colander.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the warmed half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is steaming hot and thick, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar until melted.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni and season to taste with salt.
I had some trouble getting it thick and creamy, but oh my goodness, it was incredible. My boyfriend didnt feel the same way about it, but we have totally separate tastes in mac and cheese. If you're a super smooth, creamy kind of mac and cheese lover, put velveeta in this. If you like it runny and with a sharp edge to it, then just make it the way the recipe says.
This was good! I didn't have enough sharp cheddar on hand, so I threw in some velveeta and moz to make up the difference. I liked the fact that it only used one pot too! When I get really adventurous, I think I might even throw it into a casserole dish and bake/brown the top just a bit too!
This got the automatic 5 star. DD loved this and asked for more. She usually will only eat the dreaded box stuff. She won't touch my homemade baked mac and cheese. But she loved this so thank you for the great recipe to replace the boxed stuff. I used fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 and used half 2% cheddar and 1/2 2% velveta. YUMMO!