Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cook's Country: A trio of salty, sweet, and tart ingredients round out the sauce, along with ginger, garlic, and hot red pepper flakes. Use a chef's knife to trim away the fibrous outer peel on the broccoli stems.
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces stems trimmed, peeled (see note above)
- Whisk orange juice, soy sauce, 2 t. sesame oil, brown sugar, pepper flakes, and cornstarch in medium bowl. Combine garlic, ginger, and remaining 1 t. sesame oil in small bowl.
- Toast sesame seeds in a large skillet over medium heat until golden, about 8 minutes, shaking pan frequently. Transfer seeds to plate.
- Heat vegetable oil in now-empty skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add broccoli and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook over medium heat until broccoli is tender-crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl and tent with foil.
- Add garlic mixture to empty skillet and cook over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add orange juice mixture and cook until sauce thickens and coats back of spoon, about 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over broccoli and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve.