Recipe by Soban Singh Bedla and Peggy Markel. From Simply Indian: Recipes from Royal Rajasthan, F&W Magazine Published February 2009. Peggy Markel saw okra (which in India is known as ladyfingers) at markets all over Rajasthan. To add complexity to a simple stewed okra-and-tomato dish, Soban Singh Bedla showed Markel how to cook whole cumin seeds, turmeric and chile powder in oil before adding the vegetables, which brings out the spices’ depth of flavor.;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium skillet, heat the vegetable oil; add the minced garlic and sliced red onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 2Add the chile powder, cayenne pepper, cumin seeds and turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add the okra and cook for 2 minutes, tossing.
- 4Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat until they release their juices, about 1 minute.
- 5Add the water, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the okra is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- 6Season with salt and serve with basmati rice.
- 7*MAKE AHEAD:.
- 8The stewed okra and tomatoes can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.0
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g