Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another Depression meal handed down. This along with Pop's Hamburger and Beans are meals we had as kids when EVERYBODY went to my Great Grandmother's house down the shore. It is VERY easy to make, VERY easy to stretch and VERY Good! It is a meal that does NOT look appetizing, but once you eat it you won't be able to stop. MOST people (oustside our family haha) have to be coaxed into trying it! People have compared it to Welsh Rarebit, but it really isn't close. Leftovers can be frozen for up to six months.
- Cut onions to your preference. My Father and daughter prefer big chunky onions, where my and I prefer minced.
- Boil water and onions until soft and clear.
- Add cheese a little at a time until melted. We use a mixture of soft and hard cheese.
- Make plenty of toast! Butter if you wish but it is really only added calories as you can not taste the butter.
- Scoop stewed cheese over toast and eat while hot!
- You can add as little or as much cheese/onion/water as you like. (Hence easy to stretch). If you like it thicker you can add cornstarch. You can also add ham if you like. I prefer it without the ham.
- Leftovers can be frozen for up to six months. Just reheat. More cheese and onions can also be added with each reheat.