Recipe by Chuck in Killbuck
Here's a recipe my next door neighbors and I have been making off and on all summer long when we grille out together. Even the little ones love it when we use Pepperoni and call it a ZucchiniPizza. If you like Zucchini's I promise you'll love this. The key is to cook it long enough that the Zucchini is extremely soft when you squeeze it.
Top Review by Manda
Chuck, this was AMAZING!!! I chose to forgo the meat, and went totally veggie. I made this for dinner tonight and can't wait to eat the leftovers tomorrow!! I followed the recipe, except I added diced onion, green pepper, canned mushrooms, and diced tomato. For me this was a wonderful main dish, and very low in carbs. I made it in the oven and it took about 30 min. on 350 degrees. I had this with a fresh green salad, and I was in Heaven!!I can't wait until summer to try this on the grill!!! Thank you for a very simple, yet unique and tasty dish....will definitely add to my list of faves:) Thanks for posting ~Manda
- 1 large zucchini (Fresh)
- 1 can pizza sauce (Divided)
- mozzarella cheese (Divided-Enough to cover each Zucchini half)
- cooked sausage (Divided-Enough to fill each Zucchini half)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (divided)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (divided)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Zucchini in half lengthwise.
- With a large spoon scoop out all the seeds in both halves leaving enough meaty portion to cook.
- (Creating a canoe appearance) Place half of the can of Pizza sauce in each half of Zucchini.
- Mix Sausage into sauce to taste in each half.
- Sprinkle Oregano and Garlic Powder on each half.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Place strips of cheese over each half to cover all the sauce mixture.
- Quickly (and I do mean quick) place one half Zucchini on the other.
- Place whole Zucchini on tin foil and wrap well.
- I suggest double wrapping because the juice is going to run out and the Zucchini will be very soft when done.
- Place over medium heat on a covered grille.
- Grille for about 45 to 60 minutes depending on heat, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, or until Zucchini is extremely soft when squeezed.
- Remove from grille and place on platter.
- Unwrap carefully for there will be a lot of hot sauce and steam.
- Note: This is an excellent side dish for any type of grilled dinner.
- You can also alternate using different types of cooked meat when making this.
- Such as cooked Ground Beef, cooked Chicken or Pork.
- Small pieces of Pepperoni or Hot Dogs can also be used but doesnt require being cooked.
- I imagine this could be made in the oven as well if preferred.