1 hr 15 mins
Chuck in Killbuck's Note:
Here's a recipe my next door neighbors and I have been making off and on all summer long when we grille out together. Even the little ones love it when we use Pepperoni and call it a ZucchiniPizza. If you like Zucchini's I promise you'll love this. The key is to cook it long enough that the Zucchini is extremely soft when you squeeze it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut Zucchini in half lengthwise.
- 2With a large spoon scoop out all the seeds in both halves leaving enough meaty portion to cook.
- 3(Creating a canoe appearance) Place half of the can of Pizza sauce in each half of Zucchini.
- 4Mix Sausage into sauce to taste in each half.
- 5Sprinkle Oregano and Garlic Powder on each half.
- 6Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 7Place strips of cheese over each half to cover all the sauce mixture.
- 8Quickly (and I do mean quick) place one half Zucchini on the other.
- 9Place whole Zucchini on tin foil and wrap well.
- 10I suggest double wrapping because the juice is going to run out and the Zucchini will be very soft when done.
- 11Place over medium heat on a covered grille.
- 12Grille for about 45 to 60 minutes depending on heat, turning every 10 to 15 minutes, or until Zucchini is extremely soft when squeezed.
- 13Remove from grille and place on platter.
- 14Unwrap carefully for there will be a lot of hot sauce and steam.
- 15Note: This is an excellent side dish for any type of grilled dinner.
- 16You can also alternate using different types of cooked meat when making this.
- 17Such as cooked Ground Beef, cooked Chicken or Pork.
- 18Small pieces of Pepperoni or Hot Dogs can also be used but doesnt require being cooked.
- 19I imagine this could be made in the oven as well if preferred.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steve's Grilled Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.7
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 1.6 g