Mrs Goodall's Note:
I am NOT an oatmeal fan. I have been searching for over a year to find a way to include oatmeal into my diet. I just don't like oatmeal. I tried steel-cut oats and able to eat a bite or two, but in the end the texture just is a challenge for me. I found this recipe in Bon Appetite (Sept. 2007) and thought it worth a try. It was great! Cook the oatmeal, chill, cut into pieces and cook on a griddle. While it is a two step recipe, it is quick and easy and worth the little bit of planning required. The cakes are even better served with fruit or yogurt. I will never be a big oatmeal fan, but this is a recipe I can include in my meal plan and actually enjoy. Give it a try, your colon will thank you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Butter (or use non-stick cooking spray) a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- 2Bring 3 1/2 cups water to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- 3Add oats and salt.
- 4Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until oatmeal is tender but still firm to bite. Stir often and add more water by 1/4 cup fill if too thick. Cook about 20 - 30 minutes.
- 5Add cream, maple syrup, sugar and vanilla; stir until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- 6Spread oatmeal in prepared pan.
- 7Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 24. (Keep chilled until ready to griddle).
- 8Cut chilled oatmeal into squares or triangles.
- 9Heat griddle or heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- 10Brush griddle with butter.
- 11Cook oatcakes until golden brown and heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- 12Divide oatcakes among plates and top with your choice of toppings (maple syrup, berries or yogurt).
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steel-Cut Oatcakes
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 324.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 11.8 g