Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you can’t get mirin, use white wine or rice vinegar instead and add an extra 1 tbs sugar.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon, 1/2 juiced and 1/2 sliced
- 9 ounces basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 4 (5 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 1 1⁄4 in piece ginger, shredded
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Pour the soy, mirin and sugar in a small saucepan with the lemon juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins until slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put the rice in a large saucepan and cover with water, about 1 ¾ cups. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 5 mins - the rice should have absorbed about ¾ of the water. Place the fish fillets on top.
- Sprinkle each with ginger, chilli and a slice of lemon. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 5 mins until the fish and rice are cooked through. Serve with a drizzle of the sauce and some sliced scallions.