Steamed Fish, Chinese Style
- Select a fresh rock fish between two and three pounds.
- Clean, remove scales, gut and gills.
- Traditionally, this dish is served with the fish head intact, but you may decide for yourself and your guests.
- Make four or five diagonal slices on each side of the fish and place the fish in a bamboo steamer basket over a wok with boiling water.
- Steam fish for approximately 10 minutes.
- Fish is fully cooked when meat flakes away from the bone with a fork using gentle pressure.
- Cooking times vary according to the size of the fish.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the vegetable oil, sesame oil, water and soy sauce.
- Heat over medium heat (do not boil).
- Place the whole fish on a serving platter atop green lettuce leaves.
- Be careful when removing the fish from steamer basket as it will easily break apart.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro and green onion slivers on the fish and drizzle with the hot soy sauce mixture.
- Serve immediately.