Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens
Make and share this Steak Pinwheels Stuffed With Spinach and Bacon recipe from Food.com.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef flank steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef top round steak
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 dash salt
- In a large skillet cook bacon just until done but not crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Score steak by making shallow cuts at 1-inch intervals diagonally across steak in a diamond pattern.
- Repeat on second side.
- Place steak between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Working from the center to the edges, pound meat lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to form a 12x8-inch rectangle; remove plastic wrap Sprinkle the 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt over top.
- Arrange the bacon lengthwise on the steak.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the spinach, bread crumbs, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning, and dash salt.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the bacon.
- Roll up meat from a short side.
- Secure with wooden toothpicks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from one end.
- Cut between toothpicks into eight 1-inch slices.
- Cook 4 of the pinwheels immediately and freeze the remaining pinwheels as directed.
- Makes 4 servings.
- To Eat Two: To grill, horizontally thread two pinwheels onto each of 2 long skewers.
- Remove wooden toothpicks.
- Place pinwheels on the rack of an uncovered grill.
- Grill directly over medium coals 12 to 14 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once.
- Or to broil, place pinwheels, cut side down, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 12 to 14 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once.
- Remove toothpicks.
- To Freeze Two: Place two pinwheels into each of 2 individual freezer containers.
- Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw 2 or 4 of the pinwheels overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook according to the directions above.
Just excellent. I did change a few things. Loved the lemon pepper but will admit I used more than the stated 3/4 tsp I believe. I left out the breadcrumbs because I forgot them and used fresh spinach that I sauted in about 2 tsp of the bacon grease and added the thyme and lemon pepper to it. Excellent. I broiled it and did slightly overcook it (according to DH) and the round steak was just a little on the tough side. But all in all we really enjoyed this with the combination of flavors. Thanks AZPARZYCH for a keeper. Made for PRMR Tag Game :)