Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This rich, creamy chocolate sauce is perfect on ripe straberries, but it's so versatile it might also be just what your favorite dessert has been missing.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (no more than 60% cacao if labled)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb strawberry, halved if large
- Cook sugar in a dry 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt, about 2 minute.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar is melted into a deep golden caramel, 1-2 minute.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream - mixture will steam and bubble vigorously).
- Once the bubbles subside, return pan to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until caramel has thickened and all sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, then add chocolate and salt and stir until chocolate is melted.
- Add butter and stir until just melted.
- Cool sauce slightly, then drizzle over strawberries.