Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bought my first starfruit recently and this is what I did with it....there is really no cooking time with this recipe. This is REALLY a "special guests" presentation!
- 2 bunches romaine lettuce hearts, trimmed, washed, dried and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts, washed and dried
- 2 scallions, prepared and cut in small pieces on the diagnional
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed and grated
- 10 strawberries, fresh, washed, dried and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup wasabi, peas (*wasabi peas are dried green peas that are covered with salt, sugar and wasabi powder)
- 1⁄2 cup mixed sprouts
- 1⁄2 medium cucumber, peeled and cut paper-thin
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced lenght-wise into four parts
- 1 medium star fruit, sliced thin, pits removed
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashew nuts, whole, unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- In large bowl, toss first seven ingredients.
- Prepare tomatoes and starfruit. Set aside along with cashews.
- Placed sliced cucumbers on paper napkin to drain.
- Whisk vinegar, oil, and black pepper together. Allow to meld at least 15 minutes.
- All this can be prepared ahead of time.
- Prior to serving, add tomatoes and cashews to salad.
- Pat cucumber dry, and add to salad. Toss all together.
- Slice each starfruit slice in half.
- Dress salad with oil mixture using as much as you personally like.
- Place starfruit around edge of bowl with points facing out.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Now you are good to go!
Take the strawberries and the star fruit out of the recipe. It doesn't contribute to the taste of the recipe except for eye appeal. The rest of the salad is great.