The flavor combination of a Reuben Sandwich facinates me - and my pressed and grilled sandwich is a way to get MORE of all of that in an easy to eat package - a double decker Reuben!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 1/4 lb very thinly sliced corned beef, cut into shreds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thousand island dressing (russian dressing)
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread, two slice toasted
- 1/4 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1On medium-low heat, saute the sauerkraut, several grinds of black pepper and caraway seeds until very dry and just slightly browning on the tips. Add the corned beef, and mix together with two spatulas - pushing away from you with one while pressing down on the other to break up the corned beef further. Add the Swiss cheese and stir together.
- 2Butter one side of a slice of rye bread and place in an ungreased non-stick pan heated to medium-low. Add some more grated swiss cheese on the slice, then the warm filling on top of that. Add a spoonful of the creamy Russian dressing on top of the first layer, then the toasted piece of pumpernickel. Add a good slather of dressing on top of the toasted slice. Add another layer of the warm filling on top of the Russian dressing, along with a little pile of grated swiss cheese. Place the remaining slice of pumpernickel on top - outer layer buttered.
- 3Now for the fun part - place a heavy weight on the sandwich - I use my “kitchen brick” (an actual brick covered by tin-foil) on the sandwich, with a small piece of parchment paper between. After only a couple of minutes, remove the weight, carefully turn the sandwich and weight down again. Leave in the pan for a few minutes, or until the bread is toasted. If you have a big enough pan you can do two sandwiches at the same time if not you must repeat the process listed above.
- 4Cut the sandwich and serve with more of the Russian dressing on the side for dipping. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stacked Reuben Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 947.2
- Calories from Fat 544
- Total Fat 60.5 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 2746.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 38.8 g