Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that was published in our local paper in the "Dear Abby" Column and is one of her recipes. It sounds like a nice addition to a summer BBQ.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole. In a small skillet, saute the bacon and onions until the bacon is crisp and onions are lightly browned; drain well. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add bacon-onion mixture and mix well. Pour bean mixture into prepared casserole. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Enjoy!
These are absolutely the best baked beans I've ever made. I made them for several family gatherings and they are always a huge hit and nothing left but the empty dish.
You will get many many compliments on this recipe. It's amazingly good. I do substitute "butter beans" for the lima beans since butter beans are tastier and I also substitute shredded cheese for the cubed cheese because the "cheese cubes" don't melt well - they just turn brown.