Recipe by Sharon123
Low on spunk? Try these robust sandwiches to get going again! To make these vegetarian, just omit the tuna.
For the basil vinaigrette
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
For the filling
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna in water, drained and flaked (may omit to make vegetarian or sub salmon)
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas, drained
- 1 large sweet red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 3 canned pimientos
- 6 marinated artichoke hearts, quartered and chopped 10 pitted black olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
For the assembly
- 6 round hard rolls (about 2 ounces each)
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the vinaigrette: In an electric blender or food processor, puree the basil and garlic with the olive oil.
- Transfer to a small bowl; stir in the cheese, vinegar, and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients, add the vinaigrette, and toss well.
- Slice off the top third of each roll.
- Scrape out the insides, leaving a 1/2-inch shell.
- (Reserve the insides for bread crumbs.) Spoon about 1/4 cup of the tuna filling into each roll, add a slice of cheese, and repeat.
- Add a final layer of the tuna.
- Wrap each sandwich in aluminum foil and refrigeratefor at least 3 and up to 24 hours.
- Serves 6.