Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A nice spice cake with a rich brown sugar frosting.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup sour milk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together sugar, potato, shortening.
- Add eggs one at a time to mixture.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeh and salt.
- Add Baking soda to milk.
- Add wet and dry ingredients alternately to creamed mixture.
- Mix in walnuts.
- Pour in 2 8 in cakes pans that have been greased and floured.
- Frosting: Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Cook low heat 2 minutes.
- Add milk and bring to full boil.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Mix in enough confectioners sugar to spread easily on cake.