Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from Heidi Swanson of www.101cookbooks.com, with a few adaptations. It's a terrific, healthy salad. It makes for a great light meal. I think it tastes even better the day after it's made.
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch segments
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 3⁄4 cup yellow split peas
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- Wild Rice: Rinse 1 1/2 cups wild rice. In a medium sauce pan bring the rice and 4 1/2 cups salted water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Yellow Spilt Peas: Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, add 3/4 cup dried yellow split peas, and cook for 20 -30 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Whisk together the garlic, tahini, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Add the hot water to thin a bit and then the salt. Set aside.
- Bring a saucepan full of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the asparagus. Cook for just until the asparagus is bright and tender. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
- In a large bowl combine the wild rice, yellow split peas, asparagus, and the dressing. Mix in parsley and feta cheese. Give it a good toss. Add more salt if needed.