Recipe by Oolala
From the Multi-Cultural Cuisine of Trinidad & Tobago & the Caribbean Naparima Girls' High School Cookbook. This is dairy free and has lemon juice and lime rind...Mmmm. Recipe doesn't say how long to bake so I guessed the time. Also, not sure what "cut with a knife to remove air bubbles" means!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, the grated peel
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and add salt.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and pale in color.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add lemon juice, lime zest and water.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into ungreased 9" tube pan; cut with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree F. oven until top springs back when touched.
- Invert and cool completely.
- Loosen cake with a spatula and shake from pan.