Recipe by love4culinary
This is an adopted recipe... I have not made it, so make at your own risk until I know for sure what the results will be like! lol :)
Top Review by machineangel
I rigged the top of my rice cooker to steam this. I made a few substitutions, as well - instead of cake flour, 3/4 cup all purpose flour + 2 Tbs cornstarch, 4 egg whites instead of eggs, 1 cup of sugar substitute, 1 tsp vanilla extract instead of almond, and 1/2 cup coconut milk. I also sprinkled shredded coconut on top. This didn't rise as much as I expected it to, but then, it probably had more liquid than it was supposed to, and I've never made sponge cake before. I also had to steam it for about 40 minutes rather than 30, but also probably because of the extra liquid. Came out very tasty, even if it didn't look like I thought it would. I'll try making this again sometime following the recipe.
- 1 cup cake flour or 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Line the bottom of a 10" cake pan with parchment paper.
- Prepare a wok for steaming by putting a bit of water and a rack in the inside, and bring to a boil.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl.
- Sift the baking powder and salt into the fluor and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the sugar to the eggs and beat until they are frothy (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in the almond extract.
- Gradually add the flour mix to the egg mixture, stirring.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Stir until you have a smooth batter that is thoroughly mixed, but do not beat.
- Pour the batter into the pan (ideally it should only come 2/3 to 3/4 up the side of the pan).
- Add additional water to wok if water has reduced, and allow it to boil, and then reduce heat a bit.
- Place cake pan on the rack or however you have rigged it, and cover.
- Steam for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from the pan, turning the cake over.
- Cut the cake into squares or diamond shapes.