Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Light and moist cake
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 medium lemon, zest of
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Have ready an ungreased tube pan.
- Separate the eggs and cover both the whites and yolks with plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming. Let the yolks and whites reach room temperature before using.
- Sift and measure the cake flour.
- Add ¼ cup sugar.
- Place 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar in your electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add the egg yolks and beat on high speed for about five minutes, or until they are thick, fluffy and light colored.
- Beat in the vanilla extract, water, and lemon zest.
- Sift the flour/sugar mixture over the batter but do not stir.
- In a clean bowl, with the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the last 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then add the rest of the whites, folding just until incorporated.
- Do not over mix or you will deflate the batter.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan, evenly spreading the cake batter with your spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least one hour before unmolding.