Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
With basil and serrano. This is from Sunset Magazine October 2006. I am always looking for new ways with veggies and split peas. This one looks yummy! Serve with a green salad and bread. I will probably used ground cumin when I make this one.
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 whole star anise
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 serrano chilies, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- In a large pot, bring split peas, tumeric and 4 cups water to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minute.
- Add squash, salt, sugar and star anise. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender; about 15 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, melt butter. When the melted butter stops foaming on the top, turn heat to high and add cumin seeds, and cook, stiring until brown and fragrant. Add gingers and chiles and cook, stirring constantly for another 2 minutes.
- Add basil. Stir to combine and cook until basil is wilted.
- Serve stew hot, with the spiced butter poured over each serving. OR stir all the spiced butter into the pot of stew before serving.