- 1 lb dried split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cover dried peas with 2 quarts of water. Bring split peas to a boil; boil gently for 2 minutes. Set aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Add ham bone, chopped onion, garlic, and pepper. Bring split pea soup to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove meat from bone; dice and return to pea soup with chopped celery and carrot.
- Simmer split pea soup slowly for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste split pea soup and add salt.