Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is adapted from Debber's Spinach, Bacon & Mushroom Salad.
- 2 ounces vegetarian bacon (I prefer Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips - 2 ounces is about 6 strips)
- 3 cups spinach
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white mushroom, sliced (optional)
- In a heavy skillet, fry bacon until crispy or the way you like it; crumble & set aside; reserve 1 1/2 tbs. drippings.
- While bacon is frying, mix greens with onion in a large serving bowl.
- To drippings in skillet, add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to bring up the fond. (This is the dressing)
- Drizzle dressing over greens in bowl; toss gently.
- Garnish with mushrooms and any other toppings you prefer.
- Serve immediately.