Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original recipe is for spinach but I made it with swiss chard and my second experience cooking with chard was a success!Another change I made was using dried & rehydrated mushrooms instead of shiitake. Make sure to grease the foil very very well since the mixture tends to stick. It's from my Good Housekeeping Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan with foil, leaving 2-inch overhang at each short end; grease foil.
- In nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add green onions & garlic and cook until onions are wilted, about 1 minute. Add white and shiitake mushrooms, salt, pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In blender or food processor, puree spinach, eggs, milk, Parmesan, a pinch of salt & pepper until smooth. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with rubber spatula. Bake just until spinach mixture is set, about 8 to 10 minutes. Lift foil with spinach mixture and place on surface. Sprinkle with Cheddar and spread mushroom mixture on top. Roll up from one long end, using foil to help roll and place, seam side down, in jelly-roll pan. Bake until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes longer. To serve, using serrated knife, cut into 8 thick slices.