Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Warming, comforting, healthy and filling - what more could you want from a soup?
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 bunch spinach, ends trimmed, washed, dried, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 white bread rolls, to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the stock and lentils to the pan.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until lentils are very soft.
- Add spinach to lentil mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in lemon juice.
- Taste and season with pepper. Ladle soup among bowls and serve with bread rolls.
I made this today to put in the freezer for other meals. I did add some oregano and black pepper. This was very good, fast and simple to make.