Comfort food at its finest. All your favorites baked together in one casserole. Note: cook time does not include the time to cook the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray deep 9-inch casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brown beef 6 to 8 minutes in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat.
- Drain fat; add onion, mushrooms and garlic, cooking until tender.
- Stir in spinach and nutmeg; cover and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Combine potatoes, sour cream and milk.
- Add beef to mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into prepared casserole; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly puffed and cheese is melted.
I've made this twice. Both times followed the recipe almost exactly (added a full cup of mushrooms instead of 1/2) It's delicious. Both teen boys loved it too. Even the eldest who usually pushes ground hamburger off to the side!
Wow! I am totally blown away at how good this was. I used lean ground turkey (which made it a little dry but still GREAT) and non-fat sour cream and milk. I also did not use mushrooms, as we don't like them. Instead of mixing, I layered the meat and potatoes. This was so easy and just delicious! Thank you!