Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
This was the BEST recipe of the class. I could not stop myself from eating it!! If you love pesto this is a stuffed bread for you. We did make this on the grill, but it can be made in the oven.I have posted the recipe for the Basil-Arugula Pesto (rz #183224) which can be made ahead of time or while the dough is resting.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -8 cups flour
- olive oil, for brushing
- olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed
- 1⁄8 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- kosher salt
- red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the yeast and 1/2 cup of warm water in the large bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- Set aside and let stand for 5-10 min until the yeast is bubbly.
- To the yeast mixture add the remaining 3 cups of warm water, salt and olive oil.
- Slowly add the flour one cup at a time and mix with the dough hook until the dough is soft and not too sticky. **You may not need all of the flour.**.
- Knead by hand or mix on medium speed for 10 min, or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Set aside to rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425º or grill.
- Start the spinach filling while dough is rising.
- Saute the garlic in some olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Add the spinach leaves and saute until wilted.
- Take off the heat and add the mint and toasted pine nuts.
- Salt and add red pepper flakes to taste.
- When slightly cooled, fold in the crumbled feta.
- Punch down the dough, then shape into a rectangle in a well oiled half sheet baking pan.
- Dimple with your finger tips and brush with olive oil.
- Set aside for 15 min or so.
- Place the dough filled sheet pan on the rack of a grill or in the oven and cover with the lid for a few min, just long enough to have the dough slightly rise and firm up - about 5 min or so.
- Spread the pesto lengthwise across one half of the dough, leaving a one inch border.
- Spread the spinach mixture over the pesto.
- Cover with the grill lid and cook for a few more min, until the dough is firm enough for you to lift up the non-pesto half and fold over the filled half - 3-5 minute.
- Press the edges together with a fork to keep the filling inside while cooking.
- Brush with olive oil.
- Move the pan to the side of the grill and continue to bake over indirect heat until it is golden and done - about 7-10 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 min or so before cutting and serving.