Recipe by Chef Kymba
With all the cooking I had to do last Thanksgiving, I was able to make these up several weeks before and freeze them. It was nice to be able to thaw, bake, slice and have a fantastic appetizer on Thanksgiving. Easy and everyone loved them.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container light garden vegetable cream cheese spread
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 15 sheets frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed (14x9 inch)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- MIX egg, spinach, feta cheese, cream cheese spread and onions until well blended. Set aside.
- PLACE 1 of the phyllo sheets on a clean work surface. Brush lightly with butter. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets, brushing more of the remaining butter between each layer. Place remaining phyllo between sheets of plastic wrap; set aside.
- SPREAD 1/5 of the spinach mixture along 1 of the short sides of the phyllo stack; fold in both long sides, then roll up, starting at 1 of the short sides to make a log. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets and spinach mixture to make 4 more logs. Brush with remaining butter. To prevent phyllo from cracking, score logs at 1-inch intervals. Place in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bags or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- FREEZE up to 3 months. When ready to bake, remove desired number of logs from freezer. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, several hours or overnight until thawed. Place on baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F-oven for 25 minute or until golden brown. Cool 5 min.; place on cutting board. Cut each log into 6 slices with serrated knife to serve.