Recipe by 2atdiemer
From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Top Review by flori
Delicious. It's still sitting in the fridge but it was good before it even sat. :D Thanks so much for a spinach dip recipe without a soup mix in it. I left out the pine nuts because I don't like them and I added a little shredded cheese to my final mix instead. MMMM MMM MMM
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf, trimmed
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (Italian cheese blend)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast pine nuts until golden brown on a baking dish in a preheated 325-degree oven, 6-8 minutes, or in a dry skillet, stirring constantly. Remove to a plate and let cool.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add spinach and basil; cook 3 minutes, until tender (or place in a microwave-safe dish, lightly cover with plastic wrap and cook on high 2 minutes). Drain in a colander; rinse under cold water. Press to extract excess moisture.
- Place spinach, basil, 1 cup Parmesan, shredded cheese blend, cream cheese, garlic and pepper to taste in food processor fitted with a metal blade; process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Stir together the remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan, parsley and pine nuts on a plate. Moisten your hands with water; roll the cheese mixture into a ball. Roll in the nut mixture to coat.