Recipe by Kevin Young
I saw a couple other spinach gnocchi recipes on here, but this is a bit different so I thought I'd post it. It is very filling and great with a side of steamed broccoli. The prep time is mostly chilling.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes
- 5 ounces spinach leaves
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- as much of your favorite tomato sauce, you like (I like tomato and basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and boil in salted water about 20 minutes or until able to mash, then place in a large mixing bowl and well.
- Steam spinach in a couple tbsp water covered about 5 minutes or until wilted, then remove and pat dry with a paper towl.
- Chop spinach into approximately 1/4 inch pieces and then mix into potatoes.
- Add butter, egg, garlic salt, and half of the flour and mix together well.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and knead in the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Roll dough into about 1 inch thick ropes then cut off 1 inch pieces and roll into a ball.
- With floured hands press the center of each dumpling to form a trough in the middle.
- Allow gnocchi to chill for about an hour, then place in salted boiling water and allow to cook about 5 minutes.
- Drain and serve with tomato sauce.