Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From Ghillie Basan's "Classic Turkish Cooking." You can roll freshly made wraps in foil and keep warm for at least 30 minutes. The flatbreads can be folded over a filling and baked, like a quesadilla. Another option: cook a bigger batch of flatbreads without filling them, piling them on a large sheet of foil and wrapping them to reheat later for serving instead of pita with dips.
- 1⁄4 lb unbleached bread flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- unbleached flour, for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup water, lukewarm
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach, rinsed and patted dry and chopped
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 3 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil or 1⁄2 tablespoon melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE FLATBREAD DOUGH:.
- Sift the bread flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a large bowl. Form a well in the center and pour in 1 tablespoon of the oil or melted butter and 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Work the flour into the liquid and form a dough.
- Knead the dough, sprinkling on a bit more flour if necessary, until it is smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough in four, roll each piece into a ball, place on a lightly floured work surface and cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rest 20 minutes.
- PREPARE SPINACH FILLING:.
- Meanwhile, pulverize garlic with a few generous pinches of salt.
- Melt butter in a skillet with a cover, add onion and crushed garlic, and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Add spinach, nutmeg and chili flakes. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then the milk, and cook, stirring, until smooth.
- Beat in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- COOK FLATBREADS:.
- Cut 4 8-inch squares of foil or parchment paper. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat and wipe it with oil or melted butter.
- Roll balls of dough on a floured surface into thin rounds 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Place one round on griddle, shift it to be sure it is not sticking, and cook about a minute, until it starts to bubble and brown on the underside. Brush top with 1/4 teaspoon oil or butter, then flip it over.
- Spread one-fourth of the spinach filling on the cooked side. Allow bottom to cook about 45 seconds, until lightly browned. Lift flatbread onto a square of foil or paper, roll into a cone and wrap it up.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling, and serve.