Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Good served with either plain boiled rice or Indian bread.
- 1⁄4 cup toor dal, rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon sambhar powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 -10 ounces chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad Dal, split white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 dried red chilies, broken into pieces
- 8 -12 curry leaves
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- Put the toor dal is a largish saucepan with 4 cups water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add more water if needed.
- Add the onion, tomato, sambar powder, turmeric and tamarind concentrate.
- Simmer for 20 more minutes, adding a little water if needed.
- Add the salt and spinach and cook 20 more minutes.
- You can add more water if needed, but mixture needs to be very thick at the end for the spices to taste correct.
- Turn off heat.
- In a small frying pan put the oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds and dried red chili pieces.
- Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds are popping AND the urad dal is light brown.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in curry leaves and hing.
- Pour seasonings into the spinach dal.
- Mix well.
- Check for salt.
- If you don't have tamarind concentrate, add a bit of lemon at the end of the cooking time.