Recipe by jovigirl
These are really delicious! I've made a similar version, but this one sounds better ! (Family Circle mag.)
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Set a large pot of water to boil and salt it.
- When it boils, add the spinach and onion and cook for just about a minute, until the spinach wilts.
- Drain thoroughly and cool a bit.
- Squeeze dry. Chop spinach and onion and place in large bowl, along with the eggs, cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Mix well, then add salt and pepper.
- Form the spinach mixture into small croquettes, about 1/4 each for a total of 16. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before frying. Let come to room temperature before cooking.
- Place oil and butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat in batches (so they won't touch each other when they cook), add croquettes to the skillet.
- Adjust heat so they brown without burning, about 3 - 4 minutes; turn and brown other side, about 3-4 minutes.
- Continue until all the croquettes are cooked. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- They can be cooked ahead, cooked and refrigerated and then reheated in a 250F oven until just warmed.