Recipe by Derf
A great side or use for a brunch.
Top Review by LUv 2 BaKE
OMG Derf. These are delicious!!!! Derf's photos of these golden spinach cakes with oh so creamy looking cheese sauce made me try these. They did NOT disappoint! I used skim milk, whole wheat flour, and regular gouda as I could not find smoked. Delicious as is. The cakes are moist and fluffy and the sauce is the perfect consistancy and oh so smooth with just enough of a bite. Thank you for this incredible side dish. Too bad you were too late for RSC..this could have been the winner. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 150 g frozen spinach, well drained and squeezed with paper towel
- 1⁄2 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped fine (undrained)
smoked gouda cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you wish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- THE CAKES.
- Mix in a large bowl, the flour, baking powder and the salt; separate the spinach as much as possible and add to the flour mix with the shredded cheese, mix well and make a well in the centre, set aside.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, milk, sun dried tomatoes with their oil, mix well and pour into the well in the flour mix; Mix only until well moistened. Dough will be lumpy.
- On a grill or a large fry pan drop 1/4 cup of dough, spread lightly, do not crowd. Grill 'til bubbles appear on the edges and the cake raises; about 3 to 4 minutes flip and brown the other side; remove to oven proof platter, keep warm in a 200°F degree oven. Repeat until all batter is used.
- SMOKED GOUDA CHEESE SAUCE.
- Heat butter in saucepan; mix together flour, cayenne and dry mustard; add to butter, stirring constantly until thickened, about 1 minutes.
- Slowly add milk while constantly stirring with a whisk. Bring to boil while whisking, when thickened remove from heat. Immediately add shredded smoked Gouda cheese, stirring until melted; keep warm.
- PUT TOGETHER.
- Arrange cakes in a pile on platter; pour cheese sauce over and let drip down sides.
- Or serve cheese sauce separately and pour over cakes on separate plates.