Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A yummy vegetarian casserole with the slightest bit of a kick. This dish is rich, cheesy, delicious, and healthy! I use "The Beast" hot sauce in this and it gives a nice subtle flavor to the filling.
- 73.94 ml seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 14.78 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 354.88 ml shell macaroni
- 4 large eggs
- 177.44 ml milk
- 2.46 ml hot sauce
- 354.88 ml mozzarella cheese
- 283.49 g frozen spinach, chopped, thawed & squeezed dry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and grease a 9-inch deep pie pan.
- Sprinkle pie pan with two tablespoons of breadcrumbs, tilting to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining breadcrumbs with 1 tsp olive oil and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in small skillet.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook until just tender.(About 5 minutes).
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In large bowl, wisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese, cooked onion, spinach and macaroni.
- Pour into prepared pan and top evenlly with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until lightly golden and tip of knife comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
This was comfort food! I did use freshly steam spinach and garlic herb flav. bread crumbs. I sprinkled crushed red pepper flakes on mine.The texture is what made this casserole stand out: slightly crisp on top, cheesy insides (like mac n cheese), and cut great.It was great piping hot, warm, and cold, too. I really couldn't ask for anything more! Thanks, Cynna, for postin.