Recipe by Cynna
A yummy vegetarian casserole with the slightest bit of a kick. This dish is rich, cheesy, delicious, and healthy! I use "The Beast" hot sauce in this and it gives a nice subtle flavor to the filling.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
This was comfort food! I did use freshly steam spinach and garlic herb flav. bread crumbs. I sprinkled crushed red pepper flakes on mine.The texture is what made this casserole stand out: slightly crisp on top, cheesy insides (like mac n cheese), and cut great.It was great piping hot, warm, and cold, too. I really couldn't ask for anything more! Thanks, Cynna, for postin.
- 5 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups shell macaroni
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, chopped, thawed & squeezed dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and grease a 9-inch deep pie pan.
- Sprinkle pie pan with two tablespoons of breadcrumbs, tilting to coat evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining breadcrumbs with 1 tsp olive oil and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in small skillet.
- Add onion and cook until softened.
- Add macaroni to boiling water and cook until just tender.(About 5 minutes).
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In large bowl, wisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese, cooked onion, spinach and macaroni.
- Pour into prepared pan and top evenlly with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes until lightly golden and tip of knife comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve.