Recipe by The Blender Girl
There are tons of delicious spinach salad recipes out there. But this recipe holds a special place in my heart. We have been eating this in my family for years. My auntie contributed this spinach salad to a charity cook book, and we have all been sucking in the spinach with gratitude ever since. The original recipe contained fried bacon pieces. I substitute this for kidney beans, which is a fantastic alternative for vegetarians. You still get the protein, and also the splash of red color. For me, the mark of a good salad is – one where there is a great mix of flavors and colors; a good dose of nutrients; and you are able to grab a perfect bite with every lift of the fork. This spinach salad recipe checks all the boxes for me. It is packed with protein and iron; is easy on the eyes; and can be prepared in a jiffy – Popeye would be proud.
- 2 bunches organic Baby Spinach, large bunches, washed and dried
- 8 hard boiled organic eggs, chopped finely
- organic red kidney beans (1 can drained and rinsed thoroughly)
- 1⁄2 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- cracked pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the spinach in your salad bowl and arrange the kidney beans in a large mound. Make a smaller mound of chopped egg on top, and sit aside until ready to dress.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in the blender and pulse until well combined.
- Alternatively you can put in a glass jar and shake vigorously.
- Pour the dressing over right before serving, and toss gradually, being careful not to saturate. Less is more with this dressing, as it can be very rich. I always have dressing left over. If you are taking this salad to an event, take the dressing in a jar, and toss just before serving. As they say in the salad kingdom – dress and devour!