Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can either toss this salad or serve it arranged on individual plates. If you are arranging it on plate, be sure to toss a small amount of dressing with pears to keep them from browning.
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine vinegar or 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnut oil or 1⁄3 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 (8 ounce) firm-ripe pears, rinsed
- 4 quarts baby spinach leaves, rinsed and crisped (1 pound)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir hazelnuts often until golden under skins, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour onto a towel and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Rub nuts in towel to remove ay loose skins.
- Lift nuts from towel and reserve; discard skins.
- Coarsely chop nuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, oil and mustard to blend.
- Cut pears lengthwise into quarters and core.
- Cut quarters lengthwise into thin slices.
- Drop slices into bowl and mix to coat with dressing.
- (this step helps keep pears from browning) Add spinach and mix gently.
- Sprinkle with blue cheese and roasted nuts and mix gently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Excellent salad! Dh is allergic to hazelnuts so I used roasted cashews and walnut oil. This recipe has all the flavor and complexity of others that take a lot more time and effort. This is quite easy to put together, but then I didn't have to toast the nuts. Highly recommended!!