Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This quick and easy breakfast has been a hit with me lately. The green onions and the spinach compliment each other nicely and the sour cream pulls it together with a wonderful creamy finish. I created this little gem when I found myself with far more green onions then I knew what to do with. This was by far my best experiment. You can also turn this into a delicious omelet if you remove the spinach and green onions to a bowl before adding the egg and just add it in when you would add omelet filling.
- In a medium sized non-stick skillet, heat up the canola oil on medium high heat while you dice the green onions.
- Saute the green onions for about a minute. While they cook, grab the spinach from the fridge. I find that I eat the most spinach if I buy the convenient pre-cleaned bags of spinach.
- Throw 2-3 three handfuls of spinach on top of the green onions (I estimated this at three cups). The spinach leaves should create a big mound. Use far more than you think you need (it all cooks down quite a bit).
- Turn the heat up to high, add a few splashes of water to the pan, and then put a lid on it. Allow the spinach to steam for about a minute or so. While it is steaming, whisk three eggs in a small bowl and add a splash of water to that too (makes your eggs fluffier).
- Remove the lid and let the water cook off. Sometimes if I splash a little too much water in there, I press the spinach down to get it to releases the liquid so it can cook off.
- When the water has all evaporated, pour in the eggs and let the pan sit for about 30 seconds. Salt and pepper the pan at this stage to your tastes. Now, just mix it all around and cook the eggs till they are as firm as you like them.
- Turn the heat off and finish with the sour cream. Give the eggs a good stir to mix the sour cream around well. Then serve and enjoy!
- NOTE: Sometimes you will find water left in your bowl after eating this meal. It comes from not getting all of the water to evaporate while you are cooking. Adjust your technique next time and you will not have any left over liquid.