Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Jalapeno and lime adds just the right touch to this healthy greens dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach, trimmed,washed,and dried
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegan sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add spinach and cilantro; stir until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Add jalapeno, sugar, garlic, and lime juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook until spinach is tender, another 2-3 minutes.
This is really refreshing spinach. I stayed on recipe all the way. Next time I will add the cilantro after the spinach is wilted, as I am kind of slow; and it took rather longer than a minute to wilt that much spinach. Also, I would rather the garlic and chili were given somewhat more of a chance to cook. Maybe sauté them in another pan for a minute and a half, or hold off on the lime for a minute. At any rate this takes the usual ingredients and makes them into something exotic and special. Most adult. We can eat and enjoy this, while telling the children, “Ya-ya, you don’t get any: its spinach.”
This was a nice change of pace for sauteed spinach. I too would saute the peppers and garlic first next time and then add the spinach. Loved the lime which brightened al the flavors. Thank you Sue L for sharing the recipe.
made it just like you instructed. very tasty and light. mmmmmm... i would saute the garlic and jalepenos first then add the spinach and cilantro in future attempts. thanks!