Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A meatless lasagna that went over big with my family. Good for OAMC.
Top Review by quikgourmet
Okay, I have to admit that this sounded like a weird recipe. Spinach and black beans?? But I liked the end result! This really is like a Southwestern Lasagna in flavor. The spinach just blends beautifully into the lasagna and the pepper jack cheese gives it a nice kick. We enjoyed this as a variation of traditional lasagna. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (26 ounce) jar red pasta sauce (I use Ragu)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (Pepper Jack cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the beans to a mixing bowl; mash with a potato masher until fairly smooth.
- Add in the pasta sauce, cumin, and garlic; stir to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, add the ricotta, spinach, eggs, and cilantro; sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste; stir until just combined; Spread 1/3 of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 13x9 inch casserole dish (glass or ceramic).
- Lay 3 of the lasagna noodles side by side over the bean mixture.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture over the noodles.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over the spinach.
- Lay 3 lasagna noodles over the cheese.
- Spread half of the remaining bean mixture over the noodles.
- Lay the last 3 lasagna noodles over the bean mixture.
- Spread the remaining bean mixture over the noodles.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 375° oven for 40-45 minutes or until bubbling.
- Take dish from oven and remove foil.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, replace foil cover and let set for 10 minutes.