Recipe by HCPBlogging
I found this recipe in a cocktail tome called Good Spirits, by A.J. Rathbun. It's relatively simple to prepare, with only 3 steps, and serves up to 10 people, so it was a hit at my holiday party last year. A few notes: I've included a tip for making a virgin version for the kids and when boiling the mixture, don't do so for too long as it boils off some of the alcohol. Cheers!
- 4 quarts apple cider (not apple juice!)
- 16 ounces white rum
- 20 ounces cinnamon schnapps
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves (don't overdo it)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat the cider over medium high heat in a nonreactive saucepan for 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Add the cinnamon schnapps, rum, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon sticks. Simmer for 15 minutes, do not bring to a boil.
- 3. Pour the mixture into mugs and garnish each with a cinnamon stick.
- Virgin Variety: Leave out the rum and schnapps, and add an additional 1/4 cup cider and 1 ounce cinnamon extract.