Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These wonderful grown-up tasting brownies are a great addition to holiday cookie baskets. The Amaretto (what did you *think* they were spiked with????) adds a great flavor.
For the brownies
- 2⁄3 cup blanched whole almond, toasted
- 1 (8 ounce) package semisweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
For the Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 tablespoon milk (1 to 2 tablespoons)
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 350º and grease rectangular pan, 13 × 9 × 2 inches.
- Put 1/3 cup of the almonds in food processor.
- Cover and process, using"pulse" button, util almonds are ground; set aside.
- Chop remaining 1/3 cup almonds; reserve.
- Melt chocolate and butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently; remove from heat.
- Stir in ground almonds and remaining ingredients in brownie list.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake 22 to 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare Amaretto Frosting by mixing all ingredients in frosting list until smooth.
- Spread frosting on brownies.
- Sprinkle with reserved chopped almonds.
- Cut into about 3 × 1-inch bars.