Recipe by SarasotaCook
This is a fun "my" version of french fries. They are a bit lighter with a spicy tempura batter, but still has a light crunch, easy and a great flavor. I love to serve these with burgers and grilled sandwiches as an alternative to starchy fries. It is also a great way to get kids to eat vegetables.
- 3 large zucchini, peeled, seeded and cut into thick french fry size sticks
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup very cold water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- marinara sauce, for dipping
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Now first off I love to serve this with a creamy parmesan dipping sauce which you can make your own, but normally I don't even use a sauce. These are light and spicy as is.
- Mix all the ingredients to make a nice tempura batter. In a large pan heat up the oil. Then dip the zucchini and then fry until golden brown. Don't add too many at one time. They come out crispy and brown.
- I like to use a simple marinara as a dipping sauce -- reminds me of fries with ketchup. It is really a great simple side dish.