Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Cake Mix Magic." This recipe includes sour cream in the batter to make it more moist. The cookbook author suggests not peeling the zucchini. The green flecks are interesting. She also notes that the frosting hardens quickly after it begins to cool, so use it immediately after mixing. If it does harden before you get to use it, rewarm it on low heat to soften it up. You can also try substituting carrot for the zucchini.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated medium zucchini (large zucchini tend to be much more seedy and wet)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts
Brown Sugar Fudge Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream (10% cream)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350* and grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a large mixer bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in zucchini and nuts, mixing well. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 25 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then remove cake and cool completely.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Carefully stir in cream. Return mixture to a boil, then remove from heat. Cool slightly.
- Put confectioner's sugar into a large mixer bowl. Pour warm brown sugar mixture on top. Beat on low speed just until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Quickly spread on top and partially down sides of cake. Cool to let frosting set before cutting.