Recipe by Sharon123
This makes about 1 1/4 cups of jam. You may double or triple the recipe and can this. After removing spice bag, fill jars and process in a hot water bath for 45 minutes. Adapted from Veggie Cage.
- 6 allspice berries
- 7 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe roma tomatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine allspice, cloves, red pepper flakes and mustard seeds in a piece of cheesecloth. Tie securely with a length of kitchen string (to form a spice bag).
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; place tomatoes in the water and cook until the skins split, 1 to 2 minutes. Then plunge them into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Pat the tomatoes dry, peel them, cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Place the tomatoes and all the remaining ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Add the spice bag and slowly bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- NOTE: If using regular tomatoes you may need to simmer additional time and/or thicken somewhat with 1 to 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- Remove the pan from the heat and discard the spice bag. Let the jam cool, refrigerate. Makes 1-1/4 cups.