Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Original recipe that I thought tasted great, it is quite spicy so reduce or omit chilli flakes and/or pepper for a mild result. Can of course be scaled up easily.
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 slice bacon
- 9.85 ml garlic, crushed
- 2.46 ml onion flakes
- 236.59 ml crushed tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 2.46 ml chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1.23 ml black pepper, ground
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, torn apart
- 6 basil leaves, torn apart
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 slice bread
- Remove rind from bacon and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Place bacon, oil, garlic, and onion flakes into medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until bacon is browned and cooked through.
- Add all remaining ingredients apart from bread and slowly bring to boil over medium temperature (will take around 10 minutes).
- Reduce temperature to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast bread and cut into small squares as croutons.
- Serve soup in bowl with croutons sprinled over the top.
Peter, this soup was outstanding! I doubled the recipe and made a big batch. I used garden tomatoes that I ran through my food processor and dried basil as I am all out of fresh. The only different thing I did was to add some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top just before serving. This had the perfect amount of chili flakes for us. My DH loved it too, he had two bowls and commented several times about how great it was. It took about 20 minutes to make and is just an easy, homemade soup. Also, I loved that there was no flour in this recipe, great for low-carbers. Thanks for a recipe that will become a regular in our house!
What a terrific bowl of soup, this recipe makes Peter. I doubled the recipe for my dh, he was thrilled. We really enjoyed this quick and easy to make dish. The soup had great flavor and depth. Made exactly as written but used dried parsley and basil, it was what I had on hand. I cant' wait to try this in the summer with fresh tomatoes and herbs. I doubled the red pepper option, it added a nice layer of heat and bite. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe. We will be enjoying the soup again today, I can't wait.
I made a half recipe which I thoroughly enjoyed for lunch though I did use some commercial croutons I had in the pantry and added extra chilli flakes as I like bite, thank you Peter J made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #82 November 2013.